Teens

Teens

Friday, January 29, 2016

Book Review: Noggin

When I first looked at this book and read the summary, I was intrigued, but also a little confused and put off. So, I didn't read it right away, but I'm glad I came back to it, because this book was hilarious and amazing!

Noggin
by John Corey Whaley

Noggin 

Travis Coates died.  Now he's alive--with a different body.  Travis was dying of cancer, while a teenager.  During his illness, he signed a form giving his body to science so that if they ever figured out a way to attach his head to a new body, and bring it back to life, he'd be one of the first.

It worked.

Five years later, Travis enters his world again, but to him, it seems mere weeks since he was last awake.  Travis struggles to deal with his two best friends aging 5 years, his best friend at college and his girlfriend now engaged to another guy.

Travis must muddle through his teenage life to determine what is worth fighting for, and where the new and improved Travis Coates fits in.

This book. AHHHHmazing! I was so confused when I looked at this book, because I thought that this book can't be what I think it is! But it is--very science fiction, but realistic as well.  Who knows, maybe in the future we WILL be able to attach heads to a new body, and Whaley really drives the point home of what happens if that is a possibility.  Who will the person be? What will have changed?

This book addresses more than just getting to live again--it deals with all the struggles of fitting in, letting go, and moving on.  Not to mention it's absolutely hysterical! Travis and his buddies crack me up all throughout the story.  John Corey Whaley is truly a literary genius! 

No comments:

Post a Comment