Teens

Teens

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Book Review: Inkheart

So, I was at my fiance's apartment and I had forgotten my book--this is a HUGE tragedy as a librarian.  Anyway, he said "Don't worry, I have lots of books" says the man who NEVER reads.  So he pulls out Inkheart by Cornelia Funke and tells me to try it out...WOW! How has this book been out for forever and I've NEVER read it! Get it now!

Inkheart
by Cornelia Funke

Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)

Meggie lives with and adores her father, Mo. After all, they only have each other after her mother's death when Meggie was very young.  The duo love the printed word and telling stories, but Mo doesn't ever read books out loud to Meggie.

When a mysterious stranger shows up  looking for a particular book, Meggie learns there's a reason Mo doesn't read aloud.  It's because of him that characters are literally leaping out of the pages. But Capricorn is not the sort of character you want in your own world.  Capricorn, determined to rule and be rich orders the abduction of Meggie, her father, and even her great Aunt Elinor in order to get more from the stories that are being read.

Meggie must band together with her father and aunt, and some unlikely companions to put the stories back in the books and bring her mother home.

I never really knew much about this book, other than a sub-par movie being made from it.  But when I was at my fiance's house, I had forgotten my book so I needed something to read.  He handed me Inkheart and I couldn't believe I'd missed out for so long!

Funke definitely idolizes J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis, and you can see some similarities between this book and The Chronicles of Narnia, but she by no means copies anything from either author.  Capricorn is the epitome of a YA Villain--you absolutely hate everything about him and just can't wait for Meggie to outwit him and send him back into his own story.  

There is a lot going on in this book, and you'll want to make sure you're paying attention to avoid missing any clever detail or clue Funke has hidden in the text.  This is a lovable adventure story that will keep you guessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment