Teens

Teens

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Book Review: Here After

I listened to Shadowlands last summer while working, and I actually forgot about this series until the other week! I could have kicked myself.  So I got the 2nd book, in print, started it last Friday night.  I finished it last Saturday afternoon! I forgot there was a third book, so that is on my cart to buy next month!

Here After
by Kate Brian

Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)

Rory Miller thought her life was over when she was murdered by her teacher/serial killer, Stephen Nell.  But instead, Rory, her father, and her sister are in limbo on Juniper Landing, an island that the three originally thought to be a real place...a place from the Witness Protection Program.  Rory now knows better--she has become a Lifer, a dead person that helps newcomers to pass into the Light or the Shadowlands.  The only problem is that her father and sister don't know they are both dead--and Rory can't tell them lest she dooms them to the Shadowlands.

While Rory tries to come to terms with her new profession, a new threat awakens.  More and more people are being sent to the Shadowlands--people that don't deserve it.  Nadia is blaming Rory, Rory is blaming Nadia, and the whole group of Lifers is baffled.  Rory must find the culprit, work through her love life with Tristan, and keep her family safe.

I have to be honest, I wasn't too excited to start the second book of this series.  I thought I had moved on from afterlife-type books.  I was soooo wrong! I'm glad I didn't give up.  After the first fifty pages, I couldn't stop reading if I tried.  I put the book down to pee or sleep, but finished it within 12 hours.

Yes, there is a love story with Rory and Tristan that isn't super exciting to a 28 year old, crotchety librarian, but the story focuses more on Rory's new position and everything she does for her family.  This book has betrayal and conspiracy, and will leave the reader on edge.  You THINK you know who is behind the Shadowlands...but can you really be sure?

No comments:

Post a Comment