Teens

Teens

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Book Review: Metamorphosis

The High School book club chose some REALLY tough books this year, and this month is no exception.  While the story is seemingly pretty straight forward, the author is a lot more philosophical than you might realize.

The Metamorphosis
by Franz Kafka

The Metamorphosis

One morning, Gregory Samsa wakes up a little differently.  He has transformed into a giant insect.  Unable to work or provide for his family--and scaring the living daylights out of everyone, Gregory hides in his bedroom, eating garbage, climbing on the wall and ceiling, and eavesdropping on the world outside.

This is a dark comic based on identity and importance of work and life.

I must say, reading this story in English is much easier than when I had to read it in its original German!  This story, on the surface, is an interesting, and sometimes humorous narration of a man who literally turns into a bug and lives a buggy life in his apartment.

Below the surface are themes dealing with identity, self-worth, roles of different family members, absurdity of life, disconnect between mind and body and so much more.  I am still unsure that I truly grasped every message Kafka was trying to convey, but what I did get left me sullen and morose about the life I lead--one where I go to work, come home, and cycle through every day and every year.

If you need a short story that gets your brain ticking, I highly recommend this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment