Teens

Teens

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I can't be a proper librarian if I didn't educate you on this amazing holiday! This year, it is especially important to me because my fiance's ancestors came from Ireland (and a few from Scotland, but we'll get to them another day). 


The REAL St. Patrick...

I found this great summary of St. Patrick from the History Channel:



Saint Patrick, who lived during the fifth century, is the patron saint and national apostle of Ireland. Born in Roman Britain, he was kidnapped and brought to Ireland as a slave at the age of 16. He later escaped, but returned to Ireland and was credited with bringing Christianity to its people. In the centuries following Patrick’s death (believed to have been on March 17, 461), the mythology surrounding his life became ever more ingrained in the Irish culture: Perhaps the most well known legend is that he explained the Holy Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) using the three leaves of a native Irish clover, the shamrock.
I thought this was a pretty cool little tidbit! I also found out that our lucky 4-leaf clover means virtually nothing when it comes to luck and Ireland.  The 3 leaf clover is just the symbol of Ireland, no strings attached.

So, while I'm sure you're pinching one another for not wearing green, and talking in your best (or worst!) Irish accent, I wish you a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment