Teens

Teens

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Volunteens

I love my job--I love working with teens, chatting with teens, programming for teens, and buying materials I think teens would enjoy for the library.  That being said, I could NOT do my job without, not only the presence of, but the work of teenagers in this community.

For the past 2 years, I have organized 3rd Fridays at the library.  Each month, there is a theme and we have about 6-10 crafts for patrons to come in and do.  In order for this to work, I need teenagers to run each craft station.  Since I started this, I have had between 6-20 teenagers volunteer to help EVERY month.

Also, last school year, I started a program called "Book Buddies" where teenagers meet, once a week, with a younger child to read together to improve literacy.  I had 15 teenagers participate in this program ALL year.

I also have teens volunteer to page (put the books away).  They come in once a week for an hour and shelve all the books so patrons can find them easier.

Then there are the random programs I host, or kids' programs that need volunteers, and EVERY time, without fail, I have teens form rank, step up, and work their butts off to ensure all library programs go on without a hitch.

It is time to thank these teens--to REALLY thank them, not just give them a pat on the back after a program.  Last night, I hosted a Volunteen Banquet to thank these amazing teenagers that have put in their time and effort, over and over again to make sure everything runs smoothly.

We had a Disney theme, and we had a ton of the teens dress up in costumes!




Waiting for the doors to open!





 Our incredible chefs and servers!










No comments:

Post a Comment