Teens

Teens

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Book Review: Jellicoe Road

Thank you to Krista who suggested this book to me a few weeks ago.  I tend to get stuck in the same genre for months and months, and she broke me out of my rut.  This book is a wonder!

Jellicoe Road
by Melina Marchetta


Taylor is a boarder at Jellicoe School.  Her mother abandoned her when she was only 11 and she has been living at the school for 6 years, with Hannah, a nearby adult as her only true friend and confidante. "War" has begun at the onset of the school year.  The "Townies," "Cadets," and the school students fight for physical territory around the school and form alliances and create betrayals.

When some teenagers disappear, Taylor embarks on a journey to find out her past, her connection to Hannah, her confusing attraction to one of the Cadets, and what happened to a group of teens all those years ago.  She must face her past and the secrets that have been kept about her family.

This book kind spun me in a loop and threw me every which way.  I doubt you will guess ALL of the secrets Taylor is hiding in this book, but if you do, Kudos, because I couldn't!  Marchetta is a poet, and the way she weaves this story is so intense and elaborate.  At first, it took me a while to get into the book...about 100 pages.  I felt like there were a lot of ideas and concepts that I just wasn't understanding.  But I stuck with it, and at about page 130, I got my answers and my satisfaction.  The story began unraveling and connecting the dots.  

The struggles of Taylor, at this boarding school, is quite emotional, and I definitely got caught up in her strife.  While she is supposed to hate Jonah, he is the leader of the Cadets, they have a history.  And they can't forget that.  So they must put aside their silly war game and work together to find the answers Taylor is looking for.  Why did her mother leave her? Who is Hannah and where has she disappeared to?  Who will win the war?  Who are these 5 kids she keeps seeing in her dreams, and what happened that resulted in the death of one of them--and why is Taylor connected to their story?  Soooo many questions, and you MUST find the answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment