Teens

Teens

Monday, March 30, 2015

Book Review: The Infinite Sea

I blogged a book review for The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey last month, and I have now read the second book...which leaves me with a similar aftertaste and opinion as the first.

The Infinite Sea
Rick Yancey
The Infinite Sea (The Fifth Wave #2)

When we left the teens in the first book, the training camp where the aliens train children to kill humans (and the kids don't know this is what is happening), has been destroyed and Cassie and her group are on the run to stay hidden from General Vosch and the other aliens posing as humans.

Evan Walker, and alien-human hybrid is left behind and found by his old partner and friend, but he must decide if he is an alien or if he can push the alien being out of his body in the name of love.

The teens struggle to find a way to take out the aliens before the aliens completely destroy the human race.

This series has such great potential...and I feel like it's about 70% there.  I love the idea of an alien invasion, but like I griped about in the first book, we never SEE the aliens or really their ship.  How do we know there actually ARE aliens and it's not some government conspiracy?  Also, the love stories...I'm tired of them.  There is a NEW one in this book, and it drives me up the wall.

Also, the first part of the book follows Cassie's group, solely.  The second half jumps to Ringer and her struggle to escape the clutches of General Vosch.  I feel like the author just left me hanging on both counts.  I guess I prefer a back and forth narrative rather than a half and half book.  

HowEVER, I do enjoy the writing of Yancey.  He is great at describing the struggles and emotions of the teens.  He has the characters reminisce before the invasion and before the teens found each other.  THIS part I absolutely LOVE.  You don't quite understand all the characters from the get-go.  They have flaws, mannerisms, and language that is difficult to understand under the current circumstances, but Yancey gives us glimpses at their past lives so we can understand why they are how they are now.

All in all, I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars...You make your own decision!!

No comments:

Post a Comment