Teens

Teens

Saturday, April 4, 2015

What Libraries Mean To Me

I'm a nerd. I always have been. I've been the smart kid that reads a ton, and does exactly what she should...well for the most part ;)  But, I'm not really bothered by it.  It's done well for me in my adult life.  And I know I can thank books and libraries for making that happen.  Scroll down to see the inner workings of this Teen Librarian and her past with libraries!

A library ...

Why Libraries are a Necessity in My Life

1.  The stories took me other places where I could avoid realizing I life in a small town where everyone knows my business, there is horse poop around every corner, and annoying people all over the place.

2.  When my parents divorced, I went to the library to do my homework, read, hang out--anything to avoid being at home where depression ran rampant.

3.  I learned a TON of stuff for adulthood, even great vocabulary that helped me rock the SATs and get into a great college--for FREE.

4. My library card was free. This was the only thing that was free in my life...unlike gas, my car, going out with friends, cell phone, etc.

5. Not quite related, but I got asked out on my first date at the library! Bahahaha

6. The library gave me a GREAT job as a page in 2008. 4 years later, they gave me a full time position as a library assistant, and in 2014, I was officially named the Teen Librarian after I'd finished my Masters in Library Science.  This is by far the most important.  I LOVE my job.  I love programming for teens, buying and cataloging books...this is what I want to do with the rest of my life.  I never would have gotten here without libraries!

No comments:

Post a Comment