Teens

Teens

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Book Review: Shadowlands

I started a new series...I really have to stop doing this!!!

Shadowlands
Kate Brian

Shadowlands (Shadowlands, #1)

One night, Rory took a shortcut through the woods to get home.  On the way, she is attacked by her teacher.  Fortunately, Rory is able to escape this madman's clutches, but when the FBI comes to visit and explains that Mr. Nell is a serial killer of young girls, the family is put into the Witness Protection Program.

When they get to Juniper Landing, they feel they've found a paradise--a beach town with tourists and parties and sunshine.  But when Rory's friends seem to disappear, and her sister refuses to admit she knows Olivia, Rory begins to wonder if something isn't quite right with this town.  Why can't everyone see all the people she sees?

This was a strange book.  From the title, I figured it would be some sort of fantasy novel dealing with death and ghosts.  Then I started reading, and began to think it was going to a murder/mystery novel.  The book goes back and forth, quite successfully.

However, too little is revealed at such a slow pace--the reader doesn't understand what is happening until the last chapter.  While I understand there needs to be a big "reveal," there were not enough clues and foreshadowing throughout the story to satisfy me when I hear the truth.

Regardless, I feel like this series has a lot of potential, and I am excited to check out the next book!
Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment