Teens

Teens

Monday, December 15, 2014

Book to Movie Review

Usually I review books...and I HAVE read a lot, so those will be coming later this week, but this past weekend, I watched two movies that were made from YA books and I have decided to review them compared to their books, here.

The first film I saw was The Giver, based on the book by Lois Lowry written decades ago.  
The Giver is a Newbery Award winner, and in my opinion, the catalyst for all Dystopian novels.  The Hunger Games...The Maze Runner... they would not be here if Lowry had not started this genre!
The Giver at IMDB
In a seemingly perfect community, without war, pain, suffering, differences or choice, a young boy is chosen to learn from an elderly man about the true pain and pleasure of the "real" world.

I will start out by saying at the end of the movie, I cried. I had big fat wet tears rolling down my face.  When the world changes for the better, it's hard not to.  I would highly suggest seeing this film.  There are quite a few differences and discrepancies when compared to book, but I think you will find that it adds to the story, rather than takes away.  Meryl Streep's character is nearly nonexistent in the book, but in the movie, she completely takes the cake.  I even heard rumor that once the movie was finished, Lois Lowry said she wished she HAD written Streep's character into the book.

You will NOT be disappointed in this movie--however, like every book to film situation, I suggest reading the book FIRST! 

The second movie I got to watch was the famous Maze Runner, based off of the novel by James Dashner. 
The Maze Runner at IMDB
Thomas is deposited in a community of boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they're all trapped in a maze that will require him to join forces with fellow "runners" for a shot at escape.

Now, I have told many people that the series by Dashner, is in my opinion, hands down better than The Hunger Game series.  I say this for a few reasons...I think the book is better written, with a solid plot and language among the characters.  I also appreciate the ideas behind the story--one of survival and teamwork, rather than bloodthirst and destruction. 

The movie stayed nearly side by side with the book until the last 30 minutes or so.  Chuck is definitely my favorite--he was in the book, he is in the film. The only difference I noticed (though it HAS been awhile since I read the book), was the location of the escape and its surroundings.  Also, the very end differs slightly with who is present in the WCKD facility.  I love the actors and actress the director got to portray the characters, and I feel very strongly that this movie brought the book to life in a way that would make James Dashner, the author, very proud.  There is action, struggles, great cinematic effects, panoramic views, and to my great pleasure, little to no "love story."  You MUST see this one. 

Fortunately, MCPL has both of these movies.  The Maze Runner is being cataloged this week, so we may have to wait a bit for it, but get your behinds in to the library to check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment